Friday, August 04, 2006

Korn In The Backyard

Korn In The Backyard
07/22/2006

Eleven years ago when I picked up their first cassette, I certainly would have been surprised if you had told me I'd be standing in a backyard with 30 people watching Korn play an acoustic set in Orange County today.

KROQ had a contest where the prize was Korn playing in your backyard. The band's label and management decided to film it and needed an interview to coincide. So I sat with the guys and talked about Download UK, Metallica, Dead Or Alive, Duran Duran, Adam & The Ants, Riverside, Bakersfield, OC, their club days, their first stickers, being their own street team, the first time they sold out a club in Huntington Beach, the first time they sold out The Whiskey in LA, Jonathan's days doing speed...

All four of them are incredibly down to Earth and cool (when I was at MTV, I met Jonathan at his home studio once before, as well), especially Fieldy, who I spoke with for a long time after their set.

And oh yeah -- their set! Amazing. Acoustic, with an extra guitarist, extra percussionist, keyboard/ piano player and back-up singer. Stripped down, their songs are sorta even better, even "Clown" and "Blind." They originally planned to play five songs, but they had so much fun they did a lot more, including a brief "jam."

"Got The Life," "Twisted Transistor," "Coming Undone" and a few I'm forgetting...

A great day in OC.

*You can also check out my blog at www.zambooie.com

No comments: