Monday, April 02, 2007

Dio, Demme, Dublin & Dumb

I had no idea that Jonathan Demme ("The Silence of the Lambs," "Philadelphia") directed a video for New Order back in the day, until I came across a blog about it on Movie City Indie this morning. One of the most striking things about it is the lack of fast cuts, which really allows you to absorb what's happening and get into the band. There should be more videos like that.



I have been getting increasingly stoked about going to see Heaven & Hell later this month. And I can't believe that Megadeth, (the band that got me into metal) and Machine Head (the band whose last two albums have been my favorite heavy releases of their respective years) are the support bands! Incredible. I remember when it became trendy in hardcore circles to talk about Sabbath and Hydra Head started putting out that split 7" series paying tribute. We were never asked to take part, but, Burn It Down recorded a cover of "Heaven & Hell" simply because we thought it was lame that everyone was doing Ozzy-era only tunes. It's too bad that our cover turned out awful, mostly because we dropped the bridge, and because I screamed too much of it.

Bono has received an honorary knighthood in Dublin. I have tremendous respect for the work that he does and his spiritual beliefs. At the same time I have to to admit I chuckled when I saw a quote from Noel Gallagher yesterday that read, "Play 'One.' Shut the f--- up about Africa." But only because Noel is funny. Bono is doing great things. Bravo.

I'm hoping this is someone's idea of a late April Fool's joke: The NME is reporting that Robert Smith is working with Ashlee Simpson. The pair know each other from Ashlee’s stint in the London production of Chicago, according to their mutual friend, Pete Wentz of Chicago hardcore bands xExtinctionx and Arma Angelus.

No comments: