- Ryan J. Downey
- I'm a longtime contributor to MTV, Billboard, Alternative Press and MovieWeb. I've worked as on-air reporter, host, writer and producer for MTV, MSNBC and E!. I have provided opinion and commentary to programs on VH1, IFC, G4, Fuse, Current and Oxygen. I have written for Huffington Post, Premiere, OC Weekly, SFGate.com, NextMovie.com, MTV's television and movie blogs and other publications. I am the founder of Superhero Productions, providing broadcast, online and aftermarket content for a number of clients including Lionsgate, Sony and Warner Bros. I personally handle artist management for a handful of bands. "Ryan Downey has established a history of breaking some good scoops in the last few years, and you could certainly do worse than bookmark [him] to check in on." -- Ain't It Cool
Tuesday, February 05, 2008
The Candidates: Mitt Romney
Things I Agree With Mitt Romney About:
• He wants to overturn Roe v. Wade, then change hearts and minds.
• He wants to deal with the housing crisis and gas prices (but, who doesn't?!)
• Supports a $20 billion package for energy research & new car technology.
• Wants tax incentives for employee training.
• Wants to avoid recession with immediate middle-income tax cuts.
• He says he actually wants to capture or kill Bin Laden.
• He believes creating jobs helps poorest workers; not cash handouts (doesn't everybody?).
• He wants to require welfare recipients to work (doesn't everybody?).
Things I Disagree With Mitt Romney About:
• He wants to apply Reaganomics to current recession.
• Did nothing about abortion law as governor.
• Endorsed legalization of RU-486.
• Supports a Constitutional Amendment defining marriage.
• Supports life-time GPS tracking for one-strike criminals.
• Supports death penalty and "three-strikes" sentencing.
• Wants to spend money fighting the War On Drugs in Columbia, etc.
• Supports drilling in ANWR.
• He won't say whether or not water-boarding is "torture."
• He wants to DOUBLE Guantanamo, to avoid terrorist access to lawyers.
• He believes Islamic terror has nothing to do with US policy of bases.
• He is against withdrawing from Iraq.
What exactly IS his healthcare plan? And he's said all kinds of contradictory things about immigration.
"Until 1978, the ... Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was an officially racist organization. Mitt Romney was an adult in 1978. We need to know how he justified this to himself, and we need to hear his self-criticism, if he should chance to have one." That's from a Christopher Hitchens essay that can be found on Slate. I'd like to know his answer to many Mormon related questions. If JFK had to answer questions about the Pope, it's more than fair. Read the essay!
The idea of Romney in the White House (inclusive of his religion, but that's not the only reason) is a frightening prospect.