Monday, January 23, 2012

AP: METALLICA!

Last week, I had the chance to chat with KIRK HAMMETT!

Metallica is, of course, my favorite band of all time.

I interviewed Kirk and James back in 2003 for an MTV News piece about Johnny Cash. I got to spend about 30 minutes talking with them in their jam room, where I had just rearranged their guitars to get a better looking shot (!), and it was mind-blowing. Kirk asked me if I was sticking around for the show, but MTV had me on a flight back to Los Angeles from their Salt Lake City tour stop before they were supposed to go on. "Why don't you tell them we were late, that we were being rock stars, and that you missed your flight?" I'm still kicking myself for being a company man and declining that suggestion.

I also got to ask the entire band a question at the Sundance press conference for Some Kind of Monster. It was via satellite, as the band was in Hawaii while the film's directors and us journalists endured the snow. But chatting with Kirk one-on-one at this invite-only Metallica event in Los Angeles? It's something I will remember and cherish always. I felt truly blessed!

To read my recap of the night and my interview with Kirk, click HERE.

*Photo by Jonathan Weiner

No comments: